Though the government has stressed on increasing fly ash utilization in the country, manufacturers allege that a situation of scarcity is being created by thermal power plants.
FLY ASH BRICKS OVER CLAY BICKS
- Fly ash bricks are made of waste materials that came from the combustion of coal in thermal power plants. Clay bricks are made up of clay which is collected from fertile land or top of the soil, this is the prime reason that makes fly ash bricks more preferable then clay bricks.
- clay bricks are more porus than fly ash bricks.
- Fly ash bricks are lighter in weight and much less highly-priced than clay bricks.
- Fly ash bricks have a very smooth finish hence plaster is not required on the surface to create a smooth surface.
- The manufacturing method of fly ash bricks saves energy, reduces air pollution, and costs 20% less than traditional clay brick manufacturing.
- reduces the dead load on structures due to lightweight ( 2.6 kg ,size= 230mm x 110mm x70mm)
- lower water absorption, penetration seepage of water through bricks is considerably reduced.
DISADVANTAGES OF FLYASH BRICKS.
- Mechanical strength is low, but this can be rectified by adding marble wastes or mortar between blocks.
- limitation of size, only modular size can be produced. The large size will have more breakages.
ENGLISH & FLEMISH BOND
|ENGLISH BOND||FLEMISH BOND|
|Alternate courses of header & stretcher placed one over each other.||Alternate header and stretcher in each course.|
|No. of joints is less so strength is more.||No. of joints more so strength is less.|
|Uneconomical||Economical – as no. of half bats used in this case, which reduces wastage.|
|Less aesthetic.||More aesthetic.|
FORMS OF BRICKS
Bats: It is the part of the brick reduce throughout the width. Thus, a bat is smaller in period than the overall brick.
- If the duration of the bat is identical to 1/2 of the duration of the authentic brick, it’s miles referred to as a 1/2 of bath.
- A three – quarter – bat is the only having its duration identical to three – quarters of the duration of a complete brick.
- If a bat has its width beveled, it’s miles recognized is beveled bat
King closer: It is the part of a brick that’s so adorable that the width of 1 its the quit is 1/2 of that of a complete brick, while the width at the other end is equal to the full width. It is thus obtained by cutting the triangular piece between the center of one end the center of the other (lay) side. It has a half – header and a half – stretcher face.
Beveled closer: It is a special form of a king closer in which the whole length of the brick (i.e. stretcher face) is beveled in such a way that half-width is maintained at one end and full width is maintained at the other ends.